Matt Holloway Managing Director
I am a passionate leader in Australia’s plastic injection molding and manufacturing industry. But this wasn’t always the plan – I had civil engineering on my mind when I graduated high school.
But plans change.
I joined the injection molding and manufacturing industry in 2005 with Sydney-based A Plus Plastics & Tooling, starting on the factory floor as a Die Setter, before moving into an Injection Molding Technician position.
I learnt the business by getting down and dirty in the thick of it on the factory floor, gaining a Polymer Processing trade qualification through TAFE while developing first-hand experience in what success looks like in the injection molding and manufacturing industry.
Taking this hands-on experience from the factory floor, I moved into Sales with A Plus Plastics & Tooling and into a Business Development Manager role in NSW, while undertaking a Business & Commerce Degree at the University of Western Sydney.
As a BDM, I uncovered a deep passion for the business side of the injection molding and manufacturing industry. Interfacing with clients across a slew of industries and figuring out how we could work with them to help solve their problems and grow their business sat very well with me.
This became my driving passion.
That passion, combined with my hands-on factory floor experience and desire to move into business management, led to a leadership opportunity. In 2009 I accepted the Managing Director role at A Plus Plastics & Tooling. I have led A Plus Plastics & Tooling ever since, helping to drive the business forward and position it for sustained success.
Strategic projects and initiatives I’ve overseen over the last decade as Managing Director of a successful Australian manufacturing business include:
- Strategically repositioning the company from primarily being a contract molding operation to focusing on manufacturing our own proprietary products in order to reduce the company’s risk exposure to external factors.
- Actively investing working capital into R&D to design innovative new product lines to cater to market demand, expand our offering and capitalise on market opportunities. From a modest start, we now have a suite of nearly 50 proprietary products in the market.
- Identifying gaps in the market and designing and launching innovative new products to fill those gaps, such as the GEOHEX™ Erosion Control System.
- Introducing sustainable sourcing wherever possible; a number of our products are now made from 100% recycled polypropylene.
- Driving growth of our distribution network across all Australian states and territories.
- Successfully pursuing international growth opportunities for A Plus Plastics products in overseas markets in New Zealand, Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
- Introducing automation (with a suite of 3-axis and 6-axis robots) into our manufacturing process, enabling much more efficient and economical production.
- Driving organisational change and enhancing quality management standards company-wide and gaining both ISO 9001:2015 accreditation and HACCP accreditation.
- Reviewing all manufacturing equipment and infrastructure (from lighting to the pumps on our injection molding machines) in our production facility and converting to energy efficient alternatives to reduce operating costs.
- Establishing 3PL warehouses and distribution centres in strategic national locations to capitalise on market opportunities in Western Australia and Queensland.
- Expanding the Sales team to capitalise on opportunities to grow our share of market.
- Turning A Plus Plastics into a national leader in the injection molding and manufacturing industry and a multi-million dollar, future-focused company.
- Vocally supporting the Australian manufacturing industry and campaigning to keep manufacturing work in Australia.
Interested in pursuing
- Opportunities to leverage my specialised, hands-on experience in the manufacturing industry to add value to other manufacturing organisations.
- Board position (public, private, not-for-profit) opportunities that require business leadership experience in the manufacturing space.
- Speaking opportunities at manufacturing industry events.
- New avenues to promote and grow the Australian manufacturing industry.